Friday, April 27, 2007

How Can Playing King Of Fighters 2002 Train Up Your Mental Strength

It's weekend.What are you plans?For me it's going to be the same old boring weekend.Or rather a negative weekend where I have to strategise and fight wars.

Anyway,that's not the subject today.You are not going to learn how to fight wars,but rather how to fight yourself.Have you heard of the saying "The greatest enemy in life is yourself"?I think that's pretty true.Sometimes you want to achieve something,but it's you stopping you.

If you really want to do something,no one can stop you except yourself.What do you really want?Are you willing to pay the price for it?

Back to the subject of King Of Fighters 2002...Being a King Of Fighters fan,I've been playing it since 1994.Despite the 13 years of playing,I'm still not that good at it.Why?Because I believed that I wasn't good enough back then.

But after going through so many self-development books and audios,I decided to make myself better.At least better than last time and not give up and run away from problems.I used to have this problem with using the slammers,i.e. Clark Steel,Goro Daimon,Orochi Yashiro.

I didn't know to slam my opponents.Actually it's a mental block.I just needed to practice and I'll be able to do it.Recently,I decided to get over this mental block.I decided to practice till I'm able to use the slammers.

Started with Clark first.When using slammers,the first thing you need to do is to gauge the distance correctly.If you are too far,you can't slam.If you are too near,you may get attacked by your enemy.

I tried to use a combo (Heavy punch then slam).I failed many times trying to execute the combo.Because the timing was wrong.You need to be very fast.The minute when the first hit is executed,you need to do the semi-circle forward+heavy kick to complete the combo.

After many many tries,I'm now able to it.It all comes with your mindset.If you believe you can do it,you can do it.Believe that you can't,you are also right.

However,that is not my main topic tonight.As promised,I'll show you how you can use King Of Fighters 2002 to train up your mental strength...

You probably know about the Desparate Super Moves(You can only execute them when you have less than 10% of life left).They are supposed to deal a ton of damage to your opponent.But it's not easy to execute them and make sure the move hits the enemy.

Some of the moves are slow.If you did not time correctly,you risk getting counter-attacked.Others can only hit if the distance is correct.If it's too far,you'll miss.Speaking of the desparate moves,some of them are slightly more complexed than the normal Super Moves.

You need speed,accuracy and timing in executing them,so that they hit the opponent.

Now,here's where the mental strength training comes in...

When there's only 10% of life left,what's your normal reaction?You'll be nervous right?Nervous because you might be K.O.ed anytime if you are not careful.And when you are nervous,it's not easy for you to execute the Desparate Moves correctly.

I don't know if that happends to you.It happends to me.I'm training myself to calm down so that I'm able to execute the moves accurately.When I do that,I'm fighting against myself.My mind will keep responding nervously,and if I don't keep it in control...I'm unable to execute the moves correctly.

Let me quote a real life example.You probably know about Ryuji Yamazaki's Desparate Move.You need to do a semi-circle backwards 2 times on the joystick followed by B+D.The semi-circle backwards 2 times need to be done very fast,if not the move will not execute.

Now,there may be many ways of making sure the move really hits.I've seen experts going into counter-attack mode(B+C button together),then keep comboing with special moves and ending with the Desparate Move.

I admit here that I'm not that good.Because I don't spend as much time as them training.But my way of doing it is to jump and land in front of the enemy.Then quickly execute the move.I notice this method works.

Instead of moving forward and risk being counter-attacked,jumping over is a good way to execute slam moves.

Ok,back to the topic again.Now,when my life bar is only 10% left,I start to get real nervous.To make things worse,I need to concentrate on getting close to the enemy without being attacked.The enemy will keep moving around.You need to keep gauging the distance and where to land.As well as the direction you are facing,so that you execute the move correctly.

Once the facing direction changes,you need to change the execution.For example,semi-circle backwards may change to semi-circle forward.It depends on which direction your enemy is.

When I first started off,I wasn't able to execute the move at all.It was a total flop.I only get one chance for every match.There are 7 matches,excluding Rugal.Trust me,if you are an average player,you won't want to try those moves on Rugal.

In all the 7 matches,I have only 1 chance per match to try out Yamazaki's Desparate Move.Sometimes the first opponent of the enemy team is too easy.And I end up with a full life bar.I need to wait till the third opponent to have a chance to do the Desparate Move.

When that opportunity comes,I need to calm myself down.Then look for a chance to execute the move and make sure it will hit the enemy.Certain opponents are easier to hit,while others are more difficult to hit.

In this case,the ones that are easier to hit are...Yashiro,Terry,Joe,Maxima,Kensou,Chang.These are all I can think of for the time being.Reason is because they like to move close to you.And you can easily block their moves.

Like for Yashiro,he likes to use the move where he jumps up and hits down at you.You can easily counter that.As for Terry,he likes to keep doing Burning Kunckles.Just need to block then execute the Desparate move.

Those more difficult to hit are...Athena,Choi,Chris,Kim,Vice.These few characters like to keep jumping around.It's difficult to land near them and execute the moves.Sometimes if you are lucky,you can hit them with the Desparate move.

Now,it took me many tries to calm myself down to execute the moves.I had to keep training my mind to keep calm despite the excitement and nervousness.During the first few tries,it's going to be tough.

But keep going.Don't give up.I kept doing it.And now,I'm able to keep calm and execute the moves with more precision.

Another combo move that requires precision and speed is Orochi Yashiro's (Quater-circle backwards+A,catch the opponent,run forwards,Press C then Forwards+A and immediately Semi-circle backwards,forwards + C).

It took me many tries to master this one.I've seen people ending this combo with the Super Move instead of the normal slam.I will try to master this one too.

But the moral of the story is that you can train up your mental strength by playing this game.Although it's just a fighting game,you can also gain something from it.I'm sure you can,because I've gained more mental strength from this game.

Think about this...in real life,when a situation arises,what's the first thing you need to do?Keep calm right?I personally believe that learning to keep calm during situation is a very important discipline to have.

Another use of this discipline is this...Consider this scenario...You are very angry because someone insulted you.You fumed and felt like shouting all the worst obscenities you can think of at that moment.

However,whatever you could think of at that moment was very limited.You kept repeating what you said immediately.Your mind seems to be blank.

After the incident...

Your mind starts working.Then you start wondering..."Why did I use this word and that word?It will be more impactful than what I said."

But you did not consider something...at that moment,you were fuming mad.That's why your mind couldn't think clearly.As a result,whatever words you used at that moment didn't have the greatest impact.

Now,think about this from another perspective...what would happend if you had kept calm?What would happend if you thought out your words correctly at that moment?And make sure that they had the most impact on your opponent?

You would end up laughing and your opponent would be the one who will be fuming mad.But instead,right now,you are the one fuming mad.Sounds silly?It's the truth.Has this happended to you before?

But let's face it,sometimes you didn't expect people to be so rude.That's why you are not prepared for their insults.But that's life.How are you able to know who will insult you?And when?You can't tell.

And when you lack preparation,you can't fight well and strategise.You need to fight there and then.However,keeping calm at that moment will decide your fate between victory and failure.

Which do you want?You decide.

Many times I was insulted and I got really angry about it.Ended up I lose the verbal war.Because I lost my ability to think and respond correctly.The worst words to use is vulgar words.Well,I do use them sometimes.Though I personally feel that when you want to really insult a person...

Using vulgar words is a low class method.The high class method of doing it is to be sarcastic.

BUT...

In order to be sarcastic,your mind needs to be calm.You need to think carefully where to poke at that person,so that he/she will flare up.You need to know which are the hot buttons to press.Once you can do that,they won't try to be funny with you again.

At the same time you must be sarcastic with style.Especially when you are dealing with the elders.Sometimes these old fools are too free.They like to insult youngsters,saying that they are old and wise while the young people are young and stupid.Always doing the wrong things.No discipline and spend and lot of money etc etc etc...

I'm sure you encountered this kind of shit before.My rule is very simple "If I don't live off you,you got no damn right to teach me how to spend money."

I get frustrated with these people.It's none of their damn business.I don't live off them anyway.And why can't they mind their own business?

But always keep calm.Remember that.When you are calm,your sarcasism can reach it's full potential.Hahaha.And these losers won't dare to insult and talk any nonsense about you the next time.

OK,let me share with you a few tatics...when you want to push hot buttons,always know what your opponents get affected by.Which are the things that they are really frustrated about?Example...Maybe they are broke?Or maybe no galfriend or boyfriend?Or maybe they just hate the world for some stupid thing...

I don't know.You got to figure that out yourself.But no matter what,keep calm at all times.

Hope you had fun reading as much as I did writing.Have a blessed weekend ahead.:)

Oh yeah,for your enjoyment,take a look at this Awesome Combo Video Clip below...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home