Monday, June 19, 2006

"I'm Sorry,We're Fully Booked.","How Am I Going To Go Back To Singapore?!"

"I'm sorry,we're fully booked."

"How am I going to go back to Singapore?"

"You can try the buses......."

What the hell?How did this happend?I thought today was not a peak period............OK,fine,there's always another way out.

So this was my first greeting from the "Town Of The King Of Fruits"?No,I don't believe it could be that bad.There has to be another way out!!I DON'T TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER!!

I made my way across to the Bus Terminus with my grandpa and uncle.Thank God there was a bus to go to Johore Bahru.It leaves at 5:30pm.We have around 5 hours to walk around the town.

Picture above(Segamat Square.This town is famous for what you see above.)


I asked around for directions to go to Shi Wei Fu Restaurant,where they are famous for "Butter Fish","Crispy Duck" and "Mongolian Ribs".The lady at the bus counter was very helpful,she told me the exact location of the restaurant,how much to pay and which bus to take.

We saved on the taxi fare.In Malaysia,most of the taxis have no meter and if you are a tourist,you have a high chance of paying through the nose.

It was around 15 minutes before the bus started to depart from the terminus.I paid the fare and asked the driver for directions.

Picture Above(The Signboard At The Railway Station.)


The bus driver was a very friendly chap.We had a nice chat during the whole journey.He was very excited and happy when he knew that we were tourists.I had a great time finding out from him more about the town,as well as how to get around after we finish our meal.

He told me Segamat is a very simple town.There is only one main road.If you follow it,you can never get lost.He recommended that we go to the area near Fajar Supermarket,for that's bustling with the most activity in the whole town.

I asked him how long does it take for him to drive to the other end.He told me it's around 2 to 3 hours from Segamat to Ayer Hitam.It seems that the durian season for this town is not due.The bus driver told me that I won't be able to find any in town,unless I go to the plantations or to another town.It's a pity,I wanted to buy some back for my mum.

Picture Above(Johore Pipe Company's Showcase Toilet For Malaysia.You Can't Find This Anywhere Except Malaysia.)


Time seems to pass very fast when you are in an interesting conversation.I saw the Caltex Station,the landmark where I was supposed to get off.He reminded me that that was where I was to alight.I thanked him profusely and quietly sent him a blessing before I left.He waved to us one last time before driving away.

We walked into a smaller road and the restaurant was in front of us.It seems to be closed because there was no light.But we saw the "OPEN" sign and marched right in......

The waitress got us a table,tea and the usual stuff and I started to order the 3 items below.....

The Butter Fish is deep fried with butter crumbs scattered over it.Very appetizing,especially the crumbs.It's good to mix them with rice.
Picture Above(Butter Fish from Shi Wei Fu Restaurant)


Mongonlian Pork Ribs are quite unusual.I thought there was supposed to be some sauce to go with them.They are deep-fried,marinated with "Nan-Ru"(Femented Beancurd).The pleasure comes when you use your hands to eat,just like the mongolians.The meat is tender on the inside and crispy on the outside.Great Stuff!!

Picture Above(Mongolian Pork Ribs From The Same Place)


The third and final item is the Crispy Duck.Actually this is the dish that I came specially for.I always loved Crispy Ducks.Used to eat them in Palm Beach Restaurant in Singapore,but now they removed it from their menu.

The Crispy Duck here is much much better that what I ate at Palm Beach.The marination is good.I will definitely come back again!
Picture Above(Crispy Duck From The Same Place)


After the meal,a sudden heavy downpour.We were trapped.For 45 minutes,we had nothing to do...........no choice but to wait at the eating house beside the restaurant.

Finally..........at 1515hrs,the rain started to cease......we started to make our way to our next destination,Nan Yang Coffee Shop............

Picture Above(Nan Yang Coffee Shop)


Nan Yang Coffee Shop is famous for it's toasted and steam bread,and it's coffee.If I am not mistaken,some big shots in Malaysia actually take the trouble to travel long distances just to have a cup of coffee here.

As you can see below,there are 2 plates of steamed bread.In the middle of the 2 slices,there's a spread of Kaya and Margarine.The kaya tastes fabulous.It's somewhat addictive.If it wasn't for my heavy lunch,I wouldn't mind having 2 more plates.


Picture Above(Steamed Bread From Nan Yang Coffee Shop)


As you can tell,I am really very full now.We decided to go around and search for durians.I went alone because my grandpa was tired.He can't walk very much.My uncle and he rested at a food bazaar while I went on for the Durian and DVD search.

I went around everywhere,trying frantically to find a DVD shop.Finally,my prayers were answered.I stepped in and bought 3 for my doctor uncle,who blessed me with 200 Singapore Dollars to spend there.I tried asking for durians,but no one seems to have any clue where I can buy durians.

Finally,I got an answer.There were this bunch of drivers in front of the DVD shop,one of them told me I have to get to Jalan Muar(which I have no idea where it is) to be able to find a durian stall.I asked him how far,he replied that it's not within walking distance,I got to have a car to go there.

Oh sheesh,no choice,I can't buy any durians back.I slowly made my way back to the food bazaar,as it was around 4:45pm.We agreed to meet at 5pm,then make our way back to the bus terminus.

Along the way,I came across this Satay Stall.............wow,1 stick for 30 cents(Malaysian Ringgit),what a bargain!I ordered 20 immediately.The 2 young men started to work on my order.After 5 minutes,I got my order.They were really fast.

I made my way back to the food bazaar and we went back to the bus terminus.............

The bus was late!The 5:30 train has already left and there was no sight of the bus.............

5:35 came.............still no bus...............

Finally,5:40pm.........this white coach with a "Damai" logo arrived.There were some shouting from the counter,telling the passangers to start boarding................

It was a mess on the bus.Although we were assigned seats,they were all taken up.We had no choice but to sit at the back.It was going to be a 3 hrs ride to Johore Bahru,Lakrin Bus Terminus.

The bus crawled out of the terminus and started to gain more speed as it reached the main road..............."Goodbye town of durians...." I thought to myself...........although I spent a short time there,I enjoyed every moment of being there.I know I'll be back again someday............

The engine droned on and on.............I started to feel drowsy.I finally dozed off for a while,until we reached Yong Peng,then I woke up.From there on to Lakrin Terminus,I was wide awake.We were contemplating whether to take bus 170 back or to take the yellow Johore to Singapore taxis back.

I suggested that taking the yellow cabs back will be better,since my grandpa is tired from walking the whole day.My uncle agreed.BUT................

When we reached Lakrin,there was no taxi back to Singapore.A fat malay guy offered to send us back home respectively for 50 Singapore Dollars.My uncle got a shock,50 Singapore Dollars?!Is that robbery?He walked away.Another taxi driver suggested that we go to the Kotaraya Terminus to take the yellow cab there.We agreed for a price of 10 Ringgit.

When we reached there.............there was no yellow cab in sight.The taxi driver bought us to a car park,telling us that it's where the yellow cabs stop.We saw nothing there.He told us we got no choice,we got to wait............

I went up to the counter and asked the malay lady how long must I wait.She said she didn't know because there was a jam at the causeway.The yellow cabs are caught in the jam and can't come back to Johore Bahru.

I saw a signboard mentioning about ON CALLS.I asked the lady how much does it cost to call for a yellow cab.She said 35 Singapore dollars.We agreed.But waited and waited.

I got impatient and asked her how long exactly do we need to wait?She said 1.5 hrs.WHAT?!Pay 35 bucks and still have to wait?I asked my uncle what was his decision.He said wait.

I went out to explore the area.Another malay man approached me.He offered to send us back for 60 Singapore dollars.WAH!!Worse than the one before.I said nope and went back to tell my uncle the situation.He said no way,60 bucks,it's too much!

I analysed the situation for him and later he decided to go for the 60 bucks ride.I went down again and this time the man disappeared.A pleasantly malay taxi driver in his early 50s came over and talked to me.He offered to bring us back to Kotaraya Terminal to see if we can get any yellow cab.

On the way,he complained about the attitude of taxi drivers in Malaysia.He said they were KINGS there and there's nothing we can do about their attitude.He scolded them using some malay obsceneties and suggested to us how we can go about taking a more economical ride home with the same travelling time.

I couldn't understand malay,so I had to slowly decipher what he said.He told me that if we were lucky,we could find a Singaporean cab at Kotaraya and they won't try to "slaughter" us.2nd choice is to take the yellow cab.For only 10 Ringgit a person,it was a bargain.

We reached our destination.He shouted out at the group of drivers at the coffee table,asking who is going to Singapore.Indeed there was a yellow cab who wanted 4 passangers.We fitted the bill,plus another man.

I wanted to pay him because he was so kind to us.He declined.My grandpa and I thanked him profusely.May God bless him.

We boarded the yellow cab,FINALLY.BUT.....................there was a big jam at the customs.Our driver took an illegal shortcut............AND..................

A taxi in front blocked his way.That idiot refused to move.Our taxi driver had to get down and negotiate with him.Before he came back,we didn't know what happended.Just waited and waited till he came back................

And the story was this bastard was trying to blackmail our driver.He said if our driver wanted him to move,he has to pay him some money.If not,he'll continue blocking till the traffic police came and our driver will have his license suspended.

Looks like it's quite terrible to be a taxi driver in Malaysia.The big eat the small.Thank God everything finally ended.We were granted a smooth passage through the check points.

We reached Queen Street at 10:30pm.Got a cab and I went home first after which they both went off.It was a great learning trip.Praise God and Thank Him for everything.It was a blessed trip,despite the odds.

Hope you guys have fun reading my trip today.Tomorrow we'll be back to our Prosperity Stuffs.Stay tuned!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home